Saturday, January 9, 2010

Icebox


Welcome winter.

When I got up to go to yoga this morning, I checked the weather. 18 degrees. It's not much compared to other parts of the country, but still -- COLD!

I tried to spare my flip-flop clad feet from the air by jogging out to my car as quickly as I could, but I didn't anticipate the amount of time I'd need to scrape my windows -- all covered in ice. (My $1 IKEA squeegee came in handy). It was so surprising, I had to take a few quick shots:


In the car, I could see my breath and the windshield wiper fluid was, of course, frozen. I had to roll down my window to see to the left side of my car. Bizarre.

Later, I was reluctant to leave the warm yoga studio, but I got myself out of there and went to buy some gas. The bucket of window washing fluid was frozen.


While I was pumping gas, I heard a strange noise, looked up, and saw a gas station attendant shoveling giant piles of ice out of the car wash. And there were giant icicles hanging on the entrance sign! Cracked me up.


Stay warm, everyone.

2 comments:

  1. wow. you'd better take Bettina in for a oil change and a fluid check. She'd thank you, I'm sure. Where does Texas grow its famous grapefruit? Hope they're staying warm. you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand the car thing, I spent several years in OR leaving early for school so I could ice scrape my car. I had never driven in snow before either and the first time I did (w/o chains) I put the break on at a stop sign (I was going around 10mph into said stop) and by the time I came to a complete stop I was halfway through the intersection! Fortunately no other cars were at the stop sign...

    ReplyDelete