Monday, October 5, 2009

More Day 4: en route to Austin

Fort Stockton highlights... getting lost on the way to the motel (our GPS was off by about 5 miles), eating great tex-mex at Bienvenidos, and utilizing the free wireless at the Days Inn. The town, aside from the restaurant, is small, a bit drab, and clearly suffering in this recession; I'd estimate that 30-40% of store fronts were empty and for lease. Still, it's a convenient road stop -- it's the only town for miles -- and we needed the sleep.



In the morning, we got gas (for the millionth time, despite our 25-28 mpg little car) and headed out, ready to wrap up our 1700-mile journey on Interstate 10 East!

Ahh, big sky country! As we left western Texas and headed into hill country, the landscape changed dramatically (yet again). No more shrubby flatland; instead giant rolling green hills, creeks and rivers, and incredible natural limestone plateaus. The road cut straight through giant chutes of the white rock, and my mom and I couldn't help but stare in wonder and thumb through our guidebook to seeking an explanation of the amazing geology (still haven't figured it out. Does anyone know?).


Near Junction, TX, after 1615 miles, we got off I-10 E and turned on to Highway 290, a two-lane highway that cuts through ag land and farms. Fredericksburg was our next stop, a small town with German roots, lots of charming historical buildings, beer, sausage, and crafty shopping. My mom and I ate lunch at Fredericksburg Brewing and then toodled through town enjoying the atmosphere (I also snagged a new apron).


Austin -- just two hours away!

4 comments:

  1. that was a wonderful trip! Beautiful countryside. Makes me wish I'd purchased a Texas birdhouse to remember it all by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://geology.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.lib.utexas.edu/geo/txgeo_map.html

    perhaps a little more than we asked for but it's interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas is just around the corner...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Linnea-- glad you made it to Austin and had a good time on the way there. I'm pretty sure those white cliffs are limestone, a sedimentary rock mostly made out of the shells of tiny marine plankton. The rocks are from when Texas was covered with a shallow sea, (very) roughly 100 million years ago.
    Ok, done dorking out ... welcome to Texas!

    ReplyDelete